When an individual suffers an economic loss as a
result of another party’s negligent conduct, compensatory damages may be
due. Measurement of an individual’s economic loss typically begins with an
assessment of the individual’s financial position before and after the
occurrence. Additional consideration is often given to macroeconomic and
industry conditions as well as company performance and career development.
Our firm’s individual loss
experience stems from assisting both plaintiffs and defendants in numerous
engagements involving personal injury, wrongful termination and wrongful
death. Recent assignments have encompassed a wide range of industries,
including travel services, financial planning, construction, manufacturing
and real estate. For your consideration, we provide the following overview
of our firm’s individual loss practice.
- Past and future lost earnings analysis
- Loss of household services assessment
- Lost profits analysis for alleged adverse impact on business
- Research and analysis of industry performance and general economic conditions
- Expert witness testimony
Our extensive experience computing individual losses is
illustrated by the following examples:
- Engaged by plaintiff’s counsel to evaluate future lost
earnings for an ADHD child struck by an automobile while in a crosswalk.
- Assisted defendant to evaluate the lost earnings and other benefits for
two construction workers who fell to their deaths from a building under
Retained on behalf of plaintiff, a small business operator
injured by a falling object on a business’s premises. Evaluated plaintiff’s
business records to determine the degree of lost profits.
- Evaluated lost earnings for a non-U.S. citizen working
temporarily in Northern California who died from a truck rollover accident
while delivering customer orders. Assessed the family’s loss based upon the
deceased worker’s earnings history outside of the United States.
- Computed the lost earnings on behalf of a Hawaiian timeshare
salesman who was terminated for purportedly inappropriate conduct during
solicitation of potential buyers. Researched the relevant market for
time-share sales to establish future employment opportunity.